Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mom's recipe for Keema curry

Hmm... Mutton, that's new to me. I usually don't like mutton, because of its smell or you can say aroma.. if you like it. Last year when we were visiting India my Mom made a Keema curry which my husband lovvvvved and I liked :P.

This sunday, our usual grocery shopping day, we went to our Bengali grocery shop and seeing the mutton keema there my husband remembered that curry. I almost begged him not to buy it, but he didn't listen (now I am happy that he didn't).

So, what else, I called my Mom to get the recipe and made Keema curry for the very first time in my life. In fact I cooked mutton for the first time in my life. And guess what, I was really really surprised by the final outcome. I loved it. And my husband too. Yay!!!! Success!!!

So, here goes my mom's recipe for the keema curry.


Ingredients:

Mutton keema : 1/2 lb
Potato : 1 medium, cut into cubes.
Onion : 2 medium. 1 finely chopped and 1 for paste.
Tomato : 1 medium
Ginger : 1" root
Garlic : 3-4 cloves
Green chili : 3 (You can add even more if you like)
Dried red chili : 1
Tej patta : 1
Salt : as per taste
Turmeric powder : 2 tsp
Cumin powder : 1 tsp
Coriander powder : 2 tsp
Red chili powder : 2 tsp
Musturd oil : 4 tbsp (1 for marinating the keema, 1 while frying aloo and 2 for the masala.)
Cinnamon sticks : 1 medum stick (divided into 2)
Cardamom : 4 pods (divided into 2)
Cloves : 4 (divided into 2)

Method:

Marinate the keema with salt, turmeric and mustard oil and keep it aside for 1/2 hr.

Marinated keema
Make a paste of ginger, garlic, 1 onion, tomato and green chilis.


Next, put the kadhai into the heat and pour 1 tbsp mustard oil. When the oil is hot enough add the potato cubes, and adding some salt and turmeric fry them till golden. Set them aside.

Aloo fried
Again put 2tbsp oil into the kadhai and when the oil is hot put the dried red chili, tej patta and crushed cardamom, cinnamon and cloves (1/2 of them) into the oil. When the aroma comes out add the chopped onion and saute for few mins.

Now when the onions are golden brown add the previously make paste into it. Add red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder. Fry the masala for few minutes occasionally sprinkled with water if needed.



Once the masala is fried properly and the oil oozes out, add the keema mixture into it and stir continuously otherwise lumps will form of the meat. Add the potatoes back into the kadhai. Cook for 5 mins. Then add some water and cover it with a lid. Bring the curry to boil and let it cook for 10 mins. 



Now open the lid, check for the seasoning and adjust. Check if the keema is cooked. If not add a little more water to it and cook for 5 more minutes. 

Once one curry is cooked, turn off the heat and add some coarsely ground cardamom, cinnamon sticks and cloves. 
And Finally..
Serve it with rice. :)


P.S : Now if you are using machine processed keema which is very smooth, like a paste (which I am using); then it will take only 10 to 15 mins to cook the meat. But if you are using keema which has a little pieces in it, or bones then you might want to do this whole recipe in a pressure cooker. Just after adding the potatoes back add some water and put the lid on. Bring it to one whistle or two depending on how big your pieces are.

I hope to make it again this long weekend. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment