Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Kala chana Chaat

The Indian chickpea.. I hated it when i was a kid. I used think it was for the horses not human beings... I know, silly me. I was soooo wrong!!!!

I was introduced to it again when I was traveling to Miami, in a party, as a vegetarian starter. And I must say, I was amazed by how quickly you can put it through and how awesome and crunchy and flavorful it tasted. The only preparation it needs is soaking it ahead. Actually to be very frank it doesn't need any recipe or something.. Still I am going to put it down, but I will not be mentioning the exact portions because it is totally up to you. Some people like it with more onion (makes it crunchy), some more green chilis (if you like it more hot!!) ....Got the idea???

Today me and my husband are going for fishing. As we will be going straight after his office, he will be too ravenous; so I am packing this chaat and a flask of hot coffee to the lake.

Ingredients:

Indian chickpeas or Kala chana or chola (in Bengali)
Onion : finely chopped
Tomato : seeded and finely chopped
Potatoes (optional) : boiled and cubed
Green chili / Jalapenos : very finely chopped
Coriander leaves : throughly chopped
Chaat Masala
Salt
Black salt
Lemon juice : freshly squeezed
Aloo bhujia / Mung dal fry / any Namkeen or chanachur (optional)

Method:



Soak the chana overnight or 4-5 hrs. Rinse properly and put it into a pressure cooker with water and little salt, and put 1 whistle to it. You don't want it to overcook it, it must be soft while the chanas retain their shape. Now drain the water through a strainer. 



Now add onions, tomatoes, potatoes and chilis to the chana. Add some chaat masala, salt and black salt to the mixture, tasting in between for the salt level. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice.



Add the chopped coriander leaves and just before serving add the Bhujia or the Namkeen (you can totally skip the Namkeen if you like the healthy version, and trust me..that is a masterpiece too!!). And Done.


You can serve it hot or of room temperature, as you prefer.

I don't know how the fishing is going to be, but I am pretty sure I will enjoy with the food, drink and my "Fifty Shades of Grey" ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment